Can Anyone Request a Background Check?
Can I request a background check on myself? Can I request a background check on my daughter’s new boyfriend? We receive phone calls with these questions on a regular basis. We have two requirements to run reports. Per the Fair Credit Reporting Act, we require permissible purpose and signed authorization forms.
What is permissible purpose? Permissible purpose guidelines have been created by Congress. The following are selected examples of permissible purpose:
- Employment Purposes. Especially in the instances of hiring and promoting. These include, but are not limited to including volunteers and contractors.
- A court or federal subpoena.
- When there is a legitimate business need, in connection with a business transaction that is initiated by the consumer.
- A credit transaction with the consumer.
- For Insurance underwriting purposes.
All reports require the subject of the report to sign and agree to the authorization and disclosure of said report. We will not and cannot run reports on individuals that have not provided a signed release form.
We work exclusively with business entities that have permissible purpose for seeking reports, and do not work with individuals looking to seek personal information. However, for subjects looking for a copy of their background report that we ran you can request a full file disclosure.